With the sunsetting of Quickbooks Desktop, users should be prepared to switch their accounting setup to Quickbooks Online, the cloud based version. Advantage account exports can still be used in Quickbooks Online with the help of an integration. The following outlines how to configure your accounting exports in Advantage to a standard CSV format and use the files to import data into Quickbooks Online.
Change Account Exports to CSV Format
- From Manager Console, click Cash Control.
- Double-click Accounting.
- Double-click Settings.
- Select Comma-Delimited CSV as your Export Type.
A warning may appear explaining you will have to redo your G/L mapping if you are changing export types. You may want to export your G/L information before continuing.
- Verify the Export Directory is where you want to send the CSV file.
- Click OK.
Configure G/L Mapping
If you are switching Export Types or starting from scratch, you will need to configure your G/L mapping to import your data into Quickbooks Online. Read more about how to do this here.
Configure the Chart of Accounts in Quickbooks Online
For the import to work correctly, the chart of accounts you have in Quickbooks Online must match the G/L numbers you configured above.
- From the Quickbooks Online dashboard, click Transactions in the left menu.
- Select Chart of Accounts.
- Click New in the top right.
- Select the Type of account.
- Enter a value that matches the Advantage G/L number you want to associate it with into the Account Name field.
- Configure the remaining fields as necessary.
- Click Save.
- Continue this process until your chart of accounts is complete and every Account Name matches the G/L number in Advantage.
Add and Use the Bulk Import Excel SaasAnt App
To import your Advantage data to Quickbooks Online, you will need to add an integration. You can search for the Bulk Import Excel app by Saasant within the app section of the Quickbooks Online dashboard or use this direct link to the free trial. Plans start at $15 per month depending on size and number of companies.
- Finish the installation of the Bulk Import app.
- Click Apps in the Quickbooks dashboard's left menu.
- Click Launch under the app name.
- When the app launches, verify you are in the correct company account if you have multiple.
- Click Quick Access in the left menu.
- Click Import a File under the Import section.
- Click Transaction.
- Scroll to the Other Transaction section and click Journal Entries.
- Drag and drop or click to browse for the CSV file you exported from Advantage.
- If you haven't done so already, you can follow the process here to export the file.
- In the next section, select a field from the spreadsheet to match each Quickbooks Field to a field from the CSV file you uploaded, if that field exists.
Journal No will be left blank and Journal Date will be matched to the Date field.
- Optionally, when you are done, click the gear icon in the top right to Save Mapping for use in future imports.
- Click Review.
- Verify the preview looks accurate before clicking Upload.
- After processing, click Show Results, which will show you the imported data or any errors encountered and allow you to fix them.
- Continue this process daily, weekly, or monthly to update your data.